Safeguarding our children and vulnerable adults is important to all of us at St Peter's.
Responsibility for safegarding in our church and parish rests with Mr John Davies, our Parish Safeguarding officer, and with the Vicar, the Rev Mark Smith. You may also contact our Diocesan Safeguarding Adviser, Jenny Leccardi, should it be more appropriate to seek help outside the parish.
Revd Mark Smith
Telephone: 0113 391 0389
Parish Safeguarding Officer:
Mr John Davies
Telephone: 0113 250 4403
Diocesan Safeguarding Adviser
Wakefield and Leeds Areas
0113 3530 259
I am worried about the safety of a child or adult; what should I do?
If the individual is at immediate risk of harm then you should notify the police without delay and thereafter let your Parish Safeguarding Officer (PSO) and/or Vicar know. In all other circumstances you should contact your Parish Safeguarding Officer and/or Vicar in the first instance, as soon as possible. They will take appropriate action and inform the DSA. If you are unable to speak to anybody within the diocese then you should contact the Local Authority for advice. Contact numbers for Local Authority Children and Adult Services can be found at the foot of this page.
I am the victim or survivor of abuse; can the diocese help me?
If the abuse is ongoing then we would encourage you to speak to somebody, for instance: someone you know and trust, your Ministry team, your DSA or the police. We can offer you pastoral support to assist you through this difficult time or we can put you in touch with an Authorised Listener or appropriate external support agencies.
If the abuse is non-recent we can still offer support and assistance as set out above.
If the person who has harmed you is, or was, a Church Officer, volunteer or staff member then we encourage you to tell your Diocesan Safegarding Officer. Alternatively, you can report the matter directly to the police.
SAFEGUARDING POLICY - PROMOTING A SAFER CHURCH
St Peter's Church adopted the Diocesan Safeguarding Policy at the Parochial Church Council (PCC) meeting held on 03/09/2019. The updated St Peter's Church Safeguarding Policy was agreed at the PCC meeting held on 08/12/2020.
In accordance with the Church of England Safeguarding Policy our church is committed to:
- Promoting a safer environment and culture;
- Safely recruiting and supporting all those with any responsibility related to children, young people andvulnerable adults within the church;
- Responding promptly to every safeguarding concern or allegation;
- Caring pastorally for victims/survivors of abuse and other affected persons;
- Caring pastorally for those who are the subject of concerns or allegations of abuse and other affected persons;
- Responding to those that may pose a present risk to others.
The Parish will:
- Create a safe and caring place for all;
- Have a named Parish Safeguarding Officer (PSO) to work with the incumbent and the PCC to implement policy and procedures;
- Safely recruit, train and support all those with any responsibility for children, young people and adults to have the confidence and skills to recognise and respond to abuse;
- Ensure that there is appropriate insurance cover for all activities involving children and adults undertaken in the name of the parish;
- Display in church premises and on the Parish website the details of who to contact if there are safeguarding concerns or support needs;
- Listen to and take seriously all those who disclose abuse;
- Take steps to protect children and adults when a safeguarding concern of any kind arises, following House of Bishops guidance, including notifying the Diocesan Safeguarding Adviser (DSA) and statutory agencies immediately;
- Offer support to victims/survivors of abuse regardless of the type of abuse, when or where it occurred;
- Care for and monitor any member of the church community who may pose a risk to children and adults whilst maintaining appropriate confidentiality and the safety of all parties;
- Ensure that health and safety policy, procedures and risk assessments are in place and that these are reviewed annually;
- Review the implementation of the Safeguarding Policy, Procedures and Practices at least annually.
Each person who works within this church community will agree to abide by this policy and the guidelines established by this church.
This church appointed Mr John Davies as the Parish Safeguarding Officer on 03/11/2020.
This policy should be read in conjunction with the C of E Policy Document Promoting a Safer Church - downloadable here.
Furher documents and advise are in our Downloads section.
Incumbent: Revd. Mark Smith
Churchwardens: Mr Peter Marsh & Mrs Marian Smith